It’s funny, as I type this, I am not sure what I want to say. Ever have that feeling? My brain feels overloaded and I don’t even know where to begin! I went over to my brother’s house last night to hang out with them and help my SIL roll our vacation bible school money…..and of course see the munchkins. ;p They’re the best. They really are. Sometimes I find myself just looking at them and feeling so proud of who they are and who their parents are and really just all the great things that I know they are going to be a part of.
Your Metabolism and You:
One of the things that I have really wanted to get more information on is my metabolism. The older that I get I know that things are going to change, so finding out how to deal with it properly now is something that I want to do. Some days, I feel like I am going out of my mind. Other days, I feel like my old self. I am such a head first kind of person that sometimes I do before I read directions. This isn’t always good. Some of the food and exercise decisions I have made in the last few years haven’t always been the best. I just do and don’t research. This can only work for so long and then your body starts to kind of freak out. Well, mine does. There are several other factors that at this time I am not going to discuss, mainly because I am not sure of what is going on. When I started my weight loss journey my metabolism got this super charge and completely did this 180! Now? I think that my metabolism has started to slow a bit. Do I like this? No, not really.
There are several ways to increase your metabolism naturally and I wanted to share my findings….
- Eat breakfast. Ahhh, I love this topic. It’s my favorite meal of the day and you can eat just about anything! But what should you be eating?? The best breakfast should have a balance of complex carbs (they break down slower), proteins and good fats. For example: 1 egg, 1/4 cup of egg whites, veggies, whole grain toast.
- Coffee. Now this just warms my soul. Although I think that I drink too much coffee, the caffeine is a stimulant and can increase your metabolism.
- Drink cold water. Your body has to warm itself up after drinking the cold water, which in turn increases your metabolism.
- Eat protein. When you incorporate protein into your diet, it helps develop lean muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat does, even when you are at rest.
- Green tea. Green tea contains a plant compound called ECGC, which promotes fat burning.
- Dairy. Calcium helps your body metabolize fat.
- Spicy! Eating spicy foods can actually cause your body to burn more calories.
- Interval/Tabata style workouts. For example: Sprint/run for 20 seconds and then rest for 10, do this 8 times and bam! Amy Dixon has a great tabata style DVD out!
- Strength training. When it comes to strength training, take it slow. When you release your muscle after doing a certain move, slow it down. This tears the muscle that you are working more, but you can burn more calories while your muscles repair themselves. Remember it is important to not hurt or injure yourself when performing any work out.
- Fish oil. This is something that I have never thought about taking. Fish oil increases the activity of the fat burning enzymes in the body.
- Eat omega filled foods such as; tuna, salmon, and sardines.
- Skip the second drink. Alcohol slows the metabolism.
- Get to bed early.
Edited to add Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a fitness expert. It’s important to listen to your body and to know what does and doesn’t work for it.
I got this recipe from Monica’s blog Run Eat Repeat!
- 2 slices of whole wheat/grain bread
- 2 eggs
- dash of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of vanilla
- 1 packet of truvia
Mix all ingredients into a bowl, except the bread of course, and then soak the bread in the mixture. Take a muffin pan, spray with cooking spray, and then squeeze em down in there. I baked at 350 just until they were brown. It does not take very long!!
These were SO good!!
I also used some sugar-free maple syrup. The recipe also calls for a cottage cheese/riccota mixture, but I didn’t have any. It is on my list though!
Got to run! Have a great Sunday!